Summer 2017 Local Food Supply Chain Apprenticeship
North Carolina Growing Together is proud to announce the Summer 2017 Local Food Supply Chain Apprenticeship. Through an exciting 8-week program, apprentices will have the opportunity to work with local food hubs, businesses and organizations and gain hands-on training related to local food systems and value chains work.
Apprentices will dedicate 40 hours per week for an 8-week period with one of the fourteen mentoring organizations. The apprenticeship will be paid and some travel (outside of home to duty station) will be included. Each organization is looking for specific skills, but overall apprentices should have an interest in local food systems and agriculture and should have some experience in agriculture, business, marketing, or a related field.
NCGT is a 5-year (2013-2017) USDA-funded project. It aims to bring more locally-produced foods into mainstream retail and wholesale markets, strengthening the economics of small to mid-sized farm and fishing operations and their communities. One of the main activities is to work on the intermediary steps in the supply chain, including aggregation, processing, and distribution, in order to understand and remove barriers that may prevent local foods from entering large-scale markets. Apprentices will work to carry out this mission by working with their mentorship organizations.
2017 Apprenticeship Descriptions
Click here to read the descriptions for 2017 apprenticeships at:
- Feast Down East (Burgaw)
- Freshpoint Inc. (Raleigh-Durham)
- Lowes Foods (Winston-Salem)
- North Carolina Catch (Coastal NC)
- Onslow County Market and Incubator Farm Program (Jacksonville)
- Piedmont Food and Agricultural Processing Center (Hillsborough)
- Piedmont Triad Regional Council (Kernersville)
- Polk County Agricultural Economic Development Office (Columbus)
- Richmond County Cooperative Extension (Rockingham)
- Seal the Seasons Inc. (Hillsborough)
- TRACTOR (Burnsville)
- UNC-Pembroke and Fayetteville State University Small Business Technology Development Centers (one position in the Fayetteville and Pembroke area)
- Working Landscapes (Warrenton)
The application period for the NCGT 2017 Summer Local Food Supply Chain Apprenticeship has now CLOSED.
For more information about the NCGT 2017 Summer Local Food Supply Chain Apprenticeships, please contact Eliot Lee, firstname.lastname@example.org.